Tuesday, February 2, 2016

President Obama welcomes NBA champions, Golden State Warriors to d White House on Thursday



President Barack Obama greets Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry, center,  and Curry’s former Davidson College teammate Bryant Barr in

When President Barack Obama welcomes the Warriors to the White House on Thursday to honor the team on winning the NBA championship, Stephen Curry will know his way around a little bit.

That's because during his tour of the place last year when he first met Obama, Curry asked where was the room where Obama greets NBA championship teams.


"I actually saw the room, so I know where to go, which will be fun," Curry said.

The Warriors a day after they play against the Washington Wizards will make the trip to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. along with former teammates Justin Holiday and David Lee, who are expected to be in attendance.



President Barack Obama greets Golden State Warriors point guard Stephen Curry, center, and Curry's former Davidson College teammate Bryant Barr in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015. (Pete Souza/Official White House Photo) (Pete Souza)

Curry will go back to the White House a champion after having first met the president to discuss their respective malaria initiatives. Obama later in the summer made good on scheduling a golf outing with Curry. Curry, Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green were among a group of Warriors who met with Obama at an October speaking engagement in San Francisco.

Coach Steve Kerr is the most experienced with visiting the president after championships, as he made three trips after winning it all as a player with the Chicago Bulls and San Antonio Spurs. Bill Clinton was in office for each of the visits.

"I think I told him, 'We've got to stop meeting like this,' and I don't think he knew what the hell I was talking about," Kerr said, laughing. "I thought I was making a funny joke. He probably forgot he had even met me."

A Bulls fan, Obama has never met Kerr. The two did speak in a congratulatory call after the Warriors won Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

"I just hope when I talk to him I don't stumble on my words or get too nervous," Warriors guard Klay Thompson said of being excited to meet Obama. "I don't normally get star-struck, but I feel like when I meet the leader of the free world, I'm going to be a little nervous."

No comments:

Post a Comment